Improving Transportation in Derby City
For this years Big Bang School Competition, we are looking for projects focusing around the theme of ‘Improving Transportation in Derby City’. This initiative keeps the challenge close to home whilst providing the opportunity for students to really think about how their local transport runs day to day.
We would like students to use science, technology engineering and maths (STEM) to identify and create a product that can improve an aspect of the transportation network within Derby City.
Examples of this might include:
S – Scientific impact transportation has in Derby City
T – Technology used to help transportation be more effective
E – Engineering that is essential to more efficient transportation
M – Mathematics that tie engineering and technology together
- Each school to choose one team of no more than six Year 8 pupils with at least 50% female participants.
- Project entries must be based around existing transport or STEM industries in the Derby area.
- Entries are to be presented for judging at The Big Bang Fair East Midlands on the 28th June 2018.
- One half-day session is allocated with a mentor from a local company for planning and support.
- Mentors will be allowed to guide and steer the group in their decision making but not implement ideas or solutions of their own.
- Mentors can accompany their school to The Big Bang East Midlands to provide presentation coaching.
- All project entries must be displayed in poster format primarily. Models of other media that will fit in the display space will be allowed. Please note, there will be no power source available.
For more details and to enter the competition, email tbc.