EEGS Funded STEM Days for Lead Academy Trust
Lead STEM Days as part of the EEGS Funding
Funded STEM Enrichment days
Learn by Design have been delivering a series of STEM Curriculum Enrichment days for L.E.A.D. Academy Trust Primary schools. These events have been funded by The Engineering Education Grant Scheme and are supporting over 1200 young people in the aim to inspire the next generation of engineers. All the children currently in Year 5, are from L.E.A.D. Academy trust Primary schools across Nottingham, Newark, Derby, Lincoln and Sheffield. Learn by Design have been working on behalf of L.E.A.D. Academy to deliver enrichment experiences since 2017.
STEM Ambassador Role
Year 5 pupils work in groups and rotate around a range of STEM activities. Each session has a lead facilitator, with STEM Ambassadors supporting the activities by working directly with pupils, as they complete a series of activities. Providing enthusiastic guidance to the students whilst they complete activities, answering questions and explaining outcomes they may not understand. The enrichment days bring both engaging insight into the world of STEM careers.
An Ambassador introduction leads the day and highlights the chance for teachers and young people to ask questions and understand real life jobs in the field of Science, Engineering, Technology and Math. The role of each STEM Ambassadors, provides an incredibly valuable experience for all, as ideas are fed back to schools as added insight into career pathways. Hearing first-hand experience of current job roles, provides a platform for curious minds to ask questions and break down current stereotypes.
We encourage students to ask STEM Ambassadors questions:
- What is your job and what does it entail?
- What did you study and what was your route into engineering?
The activities on the day:
- Practical Physics: Learn about some of the basic science principles in a fun way by testing your speed, reactions and energy output using cutting edge sports science equipment.
- Circuit Boards: Learn about circuits and some basic electronic components, how we use electricity and complete some circuit board challenges, using our robust Cambridge Brainbox kits.
- Wind Turbines: Build your own mini wind turbine and see how much voltage you can produce, whilst exploring more about renewable and sustainable energies.
- Electric Cars: Students ‘build’ miniature electric cars and experiment charging them to different voltages to test how far they will travel on a track.
- The Science of Sports: An interactive show looking at why science is important in sport considering; Reaction Time, Centre of Mass, Balance, Inertia, Forces and Impact, Friction, Aerodynamics
STEM Ambassadors are volunteers from a wide range of STEM related jobs and disciplines across the UK. They offer their time, enthusiasm and experiences to inspire young people to progress further in STEM subjects. We pay huge thanks to the Ambassadors that support our days.
An event day case study:
VENUE: Devonshire Place, 78 London Rd, Leicester LE2 0RA
Pupil Engagement from one event 28th February 2019 : 238 Y5 pupils
Social media snippets: